The Massachusetts Development Finance Agency (MassDevelopment), a quasi-public agency of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, is accepting applications for the position of Counsel for our Legal Department.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including healthcare, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth.
MassDevelopment is seeking an attorney to fill the role of Counsel in our Legal Department. The Counsel will serve as a legal advisor on MassDevelopment’s real estate and finance transactions and as otherwise directed by the General Counsel. The Counsel will also conduct legal research, draft memoranda and other documents as directed by the General Counsel.
The Counsel will be responsible for:
- Providing legal advice to real estate and finance staff, with respect to public procurement, policies and procedures, acquisitions/dispositions, leasing, corporate entities, contracts, insurance, taxes, and related matters. The legal advice to several of MassDevelopment’s real estate programs may include the Brownfields Program, Site Readiness Program and Transformative Development Initiatives program.
- Providing legal assistance to and reviewing and drafting documents for the MassDevelopments’s conduit bond program, under the supervision of in house bond counsel.
- Advising MassDevelopment staff on the Public Records Law and serving as a Records Access Officer, as defined in G.L. c. 66, Section 6A.
- Advising on state laws that apply to public entities generally, such as the Open Meeting, Conflict of Interest and Campaign Finance Laws.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with governmental entities and collaborating with business units across the organization to identify emerging local and regional needs and develop, recommend, and initiate solutions and appropriate action plans.
- Researching and drafting legal memoranda as directed by the General Counsel.
- Provide other legal advice as directed by the General Counsel.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Must have a minimum of five years of experience, preferably in Real Estate law. Experience with commercial lending or municipal finance would also be considered.
- J.D. from an accredited law school required.
- Massachusetts Bar membership required.
- Ability to work independently with a moderate degree of supervision.
- Must be a team player, exhibit excellent client relations skills and a demonstrated dedication to client service.
- Familiarity with statutory interpretation, government contracting, procurement, and compliance.
- Must have a strong commitment to excellence and high standard of integrity, professionalism, loyalty, honesty, respect, open communication and business ethics.
- Well organized and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline, pressure in a fast pace environment, with ever changing business and legal objectives.
- Excellent communication, analytical and writing skills required.
- Possession of a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and/or be able to travel periodically, in and out of the state.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
Kindly forward cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to
Attn: Human Resources
99 High Street, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
or email to: Jobs@massdevelopment.com.
This posting can close without notice.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer.