Foreman, Devens Department of Public Works (DPW) & Recreation
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for the position of Foreman in our Devens Department of Public Works (DPW) & Recreation. This position is located in Devens, MA. Devens DPW employees are non-union and MassDevelopment does not participate in the Massachusetts State Pension system.
Under the general supervision of the DPW & Recreation Director, this position would be responsible for assisting in the supervision of work crews and the completion of work assignments within the Devens community. The Foreman will keep in close communication with the DPW & Recreation Director to ensure that instructions are followed, work is completed, and methods used are technically accurate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and work alongside up to 10-15 maintenance specialists/laborers while performing general facility maintenance that may pertain to any of the following: open space, recreation fields, all aspects of landscaping, tree trimming, removal, and planting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, mechanical, etc. to keep facilities operational.
- Supervise and work with crews while performing road and ground maintenance (snow removal, pothole and road repair, cleanup operations, storm drain/catch basin maintenance, MS-4, recreation events, special occasions, holiday setups, etc.).
- Utilize skills in specialized trade to perform general maintenance specialist functions for facilities, roads, grounds, utilities, and buildings.
- Oversee contracted work crews in the application of pesticides, herbicides, asphalt, seal coating, line painting, and other types of road resurfacing projects, in accordance with contract documents.
- Supervise, perform, and conduct routine inspections of drainage systems, grounds, and fields.
- Supervise construction of drainage systems, subsequent repairs, and new recreation equipment in conformance with engineering plans and contractual document specifications.
- Supervise and manage shop operations for vehicle and equipment maintenance and repairs as well as general grounds related equipment and repairs.
- Coordinate daily work assignments with the assistance of the DPW & Recreation Director.
- Assist the DPW & Recreation Director with establishing and coordinating training necessary for workforce certification.
- Work with and advise the DPW & Recreation Director on all maintenance issues.
- Assist the DPW & Recreation Director in the preparation of specs for RFPs and contracts.
- Train employees on safety regulations and provide oversight to assure OSHA requirements are met in the work place.
- Learn and operate a computer and various software systems that track and manage work orders and spreadsheets.
- Be readily available throughout the day and afterhours in the case of an emergency.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 7-plus years of proven experience in facilities, roads, grounds, utilities, building maintenance, or any such combination, with specific experience, certification, or license in at least one specific area of maintenance (e.g. electrical, HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, landscaping, or other relevant trade).
- Minimum 3 years experience supervising personnel in a maintenance environment.
- Or, a combination of education/experience.
- Knowledge and ability to supervise multiple general maintenance tasks (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, heating/air conditioning, mechanical, roads, landscaping, soil maintenance, etc.).
- Valid Class B commercial driver’s license or ability to attain.
- Valid hoisting license or ability to obtain.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles while performing duties.
- Ability to walk and climb ladders and stairs.
- Ability to travel to other Agency project sites across the Commonwealth.
- Remain on call 24/7 for all emergencies and after-business-hours public-works-related issues.
- Position requires working in and being exposed to adverse environmental conditions at times.
Located in north-central Massachusetts and managed by MassDevelopment, Devens is home to more than 400 residents and a varied mix of businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits employing more than 6,000 people. Created by statute in 1993 to support business growth and attract economic development opportunities in the region, the 4,400-acre site features fast-track permitting and other incentives for businesses. The former military installation is recognized today as a national model for sustainable military base redevelopment. Along with its business tenants, the Devens community also includes more than 2,100 acres of recreation and open space, private residences, schools, and a network of human and social services providers. For more information about Devens, please visit devenscommunity.com.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
This posting remains open until filled. Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply.