Human Resources Benefits Manager
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Human Resources Benefits Manager. This position will be primarily located in the Agency’s Devens, MA office, but will require occasional presence in the Boston office. Under the direction of the Vice President & Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development, the HR Benefits Manager is responsible for assisting with and reviewing programs that primarily focus on benefits. The HR Benefits Manager will also participate in matters related to employment, compensation, performance management, employee relations, recruiting and retention, and ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws on an as-needed basis.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth.
Core Components of the Position:
- Administers employee benefit programs and plans including claims resolution, change reporting, auditing and approving invoices for payment, annual re-evaluation of policies for cost-effectiveness, information activities program, and enrollment, including annual enrollment, applications, and claims records, for all benefit plans.
- Approves and processes employee ancillary benefits including but not limited to Tuition Reimbursements, Matching Gifts, and Fitness Reimbursements.
- Administers leaves of absence to ensure compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and MassDevelopment policies, including short- and long-term disability.
- Assists with the coordination of the retirement plan, including verification of the 457(b) contribution limits, rollover and distribution requests, and employee meetings with the agency representative. Works with the VP & Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development and Agency personnel to ensure that all plan documents are up-to-date.
- Coordinates the Agency’s Annual Enrollment program in conjunction with the Group Insurance Commission.
- Reconciles and recommends the VP & Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development’s approval on invoices related to benefits and Devens’ HR expenses.
- Works in conjunction with the payroll department to ensure that changes in payroll are completed in a timely and accurate manner. Reviews the biweekly payroll preview for accuracy.
- Processes employee terminations. With the assistance of the HR Coordinator, ensures the termination benefits process, COBRA, and Unemployment Insurance claims (if applicable) is completed. Notify all providers.
- As part of the HR team, facilitates the performance review and merit increase processes as prescribed.
- Prepares annual, monthly and ad-hoc reports as requested, including but not limited to Affordable Care Act reporting, head count, Equal Employment Opportunity, and Fund Allocation reports.
- As part of the HR team, works with new Devens employees to ensure that the onboarding process (including but not limited to tax forms, I-9 verification, benefits and payroll processes) is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists with recruitment effort for all exempt and non-exempt personnel, including interns, students, and temporary employees; evaluates and recommends improvements to recruitment and selection program at the Devens location.
- Coordinates with the Devens Fire Department Union as needed.Assists with fire union negotiations, provides salary and benefit information, and works with the Fire Chief and Payroll Manager in implementing and following the contract.
- Working with the VP & Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development, evaluates and compares existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing plans, surveys, and other sources of information. Plans, develops, and/or participates in area and industry surveys. Analyzes results of surveys and develops specific recommendations for review by management.
- Recommends new processes, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed.
- As part of the HR team, participates in the planning and organizing of the annual all-staff meeting to include all aspects of the preparation by reserving facility, menu, nametags, room set-up, awards, delivery order, and IT equipment.
- Administers the Random Drug and Alcohol testing program for the Devens Department of Public Works and Fire Department employees.
- Participates in employee activities including birthday celebrations, new employee breakfasts, and other events.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding human resources.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned, including but not limited to participation on committees.
- Bachelor's degree required. Bachelor’s degree in HR or Business Administration preferred.
- Five to eight years of HR generalist experience with increasing responsibility required.
- Benefits administration and compensation management experience required.
- Payroll administration experience preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in budgeting, planning, and forecasting.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, with strong Excel skills required.
- Well-organized with strong analytical, technical, and reasoning abilities.
- Detailed, logical, and methodological approach to problem solving.
- Ability to anticipate potential issues and resolve them.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate strong organizational, leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with employee and payroll information.
- Knowledge/experience with ADP Workforce Now software required.
- Previous government or municipal experience preferred.
- PHR or SHRM-CP preferred.
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
99 High Street, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This posting can close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer