Construction Engineer (Devens, MA)
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Construction Engineer. Due to COVID-19, this position will be 100% remote to start until normal operations are resumed at which time the position would be located in Devens.
Under the general direction of the Director of Engineering, the Construction Engineer is responsible for providing daily oversight of construction and demolition projects in Devens and throughout the state. The Construction Engineer will work as a team member within MassDevelopment’s Planning and Engineering Department, and with other Agency departments, to provide assessments of potential development projects, construction project planning and oversight, development of construction specifications and bid packages, and general support to the Real Estate Division and other Agency departments.
- Assist with development of project plans and specifications by consultants and in-house staff.
- Assist with preparation of IFBs and RFQ/RFPs for various agency projects.
- Provide daily oversight of construction and demolition projects, such that the contractual requirements and obligations are fulfilled in accordance with drawings and specifications.
- Make frequent visits to construction sites throughout the Commonwealth.
- Provide clerk of the works services to monitor project progress and review contractor contracts, submittals, and payment requisitions.
- Provide assistance with inspection and compliance measures associated with local, state, and federal permits.
- Provide customer assistance and support for all agency activities.
- Complete other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, engineering technology, construction management, or related field.
- 3+ years of related experience clerking and/or managing construction projects.
- General knowledge of building, roadway, and utility construction and demolition practices.
- Ability to read construction plans and specifications.
- Experience with AutoCAD or MicroStation to assist in the review and production of site plan drawings and field measurements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate and interact in a strong “team” environment.
- Ability to freely travel to potentially multiple sites in one day without limitations.
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, an associate degree with 5+ years experience clerking and/or managing construction projects.
- Experience with ESRI CAD systems, including web applications
- Construction supervision or management experience with roadway construction, utility installation (including sewer, drain, tele-comm, electric, etc.), and demolition required. Experience with residential/commercial building construction, fit-out, and renovation.
- Knowledge of state, local, and federal permitting.
- Experience on projects with state and federal grants.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, or hear.
- Regular instate travel is required. May also be required to travel at night on occasion. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, distance vision, and color vision.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to walk on projects sites, which may include antiquated and dilapidated buildings, hilly terrain, debris, and overgrown vegetation.
- Lift, carry, set up, and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to safely navigate busy construction sites and work in close proximity to traffic.
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply.
Open Until Filled