Foreman (Devens, MA)
The Massachusetts Development Finance Agency (MassDevelopment), a quasi-public agency of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is accepting applications for the position of Foreman in the Devens Public Works Department. This position is located in Devens, MA.
Under the general supervision of the Department of Public Works (DPW) & Recreation Director, this position would be responsible for assisting in the supervision of work crews and the completion of work assignments within the Devens community. Keeping in close communication with the DPW & Recreation Director to ensure that instructions are followed, work is completed, and methods used are technically accurate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervising and working along with up to 10-15 maintenance specialists/laborers while performing general facility maintenance that may pertain to any of the following - open space, recreation fields, all aspects of landscaping, tree trimming, removal and planting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, mechanical, etc. to keep facilities operational.
- Supervising and working with crews while performing road and ground maintenance (snow removal, pothole and road repair, cleanup operations, storm drain/catch basin maintenance, MS-4, recreation events, special occasions, holiday setups, etc.).
- Utilize skills in specialized trade to perform general maintenance specialist functions for facilities, roads, grounds, utilities, and buildings.
- Overseeing contracted work crews in the application of pesticides, herbicides, asphalt, seal coating, line painting, and other types of road resurfacing projects, in accordance with contract documents.
- Supervising, performing and conducting routine inspections of drainage systems, grounds, and fields.
- Supervising construction of drainage systems, subsequent repairs, and new recreation equipment in conformance with engineering plans and contractual document specifications.
- Supervising and managing shop operations for vehicle and equipment maintenance and repairs as well as general grounds related equipment and repairs.
- Coordinating daily work assignments with the assistance of the DPW & Recreation Director.
- Assisting the DPW & Recreation Director to establish and coordinate training necessary for work force certification.
- Working with and advising the DPW & Recreation Director on all maintenance issues.
- Assisting the DPW & Recreation Director in the preparation of specs for RFPs and contracts.
- Ability to train employees on safety regulations and provide oversight to assure OSHA requirements are met in the work place.
- Ability to learn and operate a computer and various software systems that track and manage work orders and spreadsheets.
- Performing other duties as assigned by management.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 7+ years proven experience in facilities, roads, grounds, utilities, building maintenance, or any such combination, with specific experience, certification, or license in at least one specific area of maintenance (e.g. Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Mechanical, Landscaping, or other relevant trade).
- Minimum 3 year experience supervising personnel in a maintenance environment.
- Knowledge and ability to supervise multiple general maintenance tasks (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, heating/air conditioning, mechanical, roads, landscaping, soil maintenance, etc.).
- Valid Class B commercial driver’s license or ability to attain.
- Valid hoisting license or ability to obtain.
- Must be able to operate motor vehicles while performing duties.
- Must be able to walk and climb ladders and stairs.
- Must be able to travel to other Agency project sites across the Commonwealth.
- Remain on call 24/7 for all emergencies and after business public works related issues.
- Position requires working in and being exposed to adverse environmental conditions at times.
Located in north-central Massachusetts and managed by MassDevelopment, Devens is home to more than 400 residents and a varied mix of businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits employing more than 5,000 people. Created by statute in 1993 to support business growth and attract economic development opportunities in the region, the 4,400-acre site features fast-track permitting and other incentives for businesses. The former military installation is recognized today as a national model for sustainable military base redevelopment. Along with its business tenants, the Devens community also includes more than 2,100 acres of recreation and open space, private residences, schools, and a network of human and social services providers. For more information about Devens, please visit devenscommunity.com.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, stipend for on-call, clothing and boot allowance, 11 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer - MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply.