Senior Vice President of Development
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Senior Vice President of Development in our Real Estate Division. Due to COVID-19, this position will be 100% remote to start until normal operations are resumed at which time the position may be located in Boston or at one of our satellite office locations.
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President (EVP) of Real Estate, the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Development manages the Development Department and supervises the implementation of real estate development projects from initial conception through completion. The SVP leads, oversees, and directs staff who implement the various technical services and assistance programs and project managers who have day-to-day responsibility for all aspects of a development project, including the project’s quality, timeliness, and alignment to budget.
The SVP Development, in partnership with the SVP Planning and jointly with other Agency staff, leads the Agency’s evaluation process for new projects and structures and negotiates land/property transactions. The SVP Development must ensure coordination of resources, communication of department priorities and initiatives, and consistency with Agency goals and objectives.
Oversee and manage the Development Department.
- Manage staff including conducting ongoing review of team’s activities, established priorities, and additional resources/support.
- Work with staff to establish development scopes and specific workplans with schedule, budget, and resource requirements.
- Oversee department’s procurement and management of consultant teams to ensure departmental needs and objectives are met.
- Act as a resource to development managers on technical issues surrounding real estate projects at various stages of completion.
- Ensure that the pipeline of new work is consistent with Agency goals and objectives and that human and financial resources are efficiently leveraged, shared, and capacities are fully utilized.
- Coordinate the development of the Development department budget, monthly board updates, staffing plan, quarterly and annual reporting and all other reporting and contracting required to facilitate the administration of department services.
- Facilitate strong communication and collaboration between the Development Department and other Real Estate Division and Agency staff.
Oversee or support the ongoing administration of the following programs and initiatives:
- Large-scale development projects.
- Underutilized Properties Program.
- Site Readiness Program, managed by the Real Estate Planning Department.
- ULI Technical Assistance Panels (TAPs).
Responsible for the structure and negotiation of land sale transactions in conjunction with EVP, Real Estate senior staff, Legal, and other Agency staff. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creation of term sheets, leases, and sales documents related to real estate transactions.
- Contracts and agreements with third parties.
- Memoranda of understanding, funding agreements, and other agreements with communities, state and federal agencies, and other parties.
Responsible for strategic identification and evaluation of proposed development projects.
- Ensure that the proposed project is consistent with Agency goals and objectives.
- Conduct site visits with appropriate stakeholders (e.g. local officials and landowners).
- Oversee preparation of preliminary project documents, including:
- Scope development.
- Feasibility analysis.
- Initial project budgets.
- Identify consultants and definition of their scope of services.
- Identify potential external partners.
- Complete analysis of project risks and rewards.
- Provide recommendation of project “Go or No Go.”
Coordinate project scope and management with other departments as appropriate.
- Develop role and responsibility matrix that identifies internal team resources from Real Estate Planning, Engineering, or Asset Management, and Legal and other Agency staff.
- Assure collaboration and participation of the departments listed above and work closely with the Director of Engineering, SVP Asset Management, and SVP Planning to manage time commitments and priorities of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree and a graduate degree with a concentration in real estate, business, law, engineering, planning, finance, or economics.
- Eight (8) years professional experience in real estate transactions, project management, and/or construction management.
- Or a combination of education and experience/training.
- Three-plus (3+) years of direct supervisory experience.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of real estate development.
- Understanding of real estate principles.
- Demonstrated experience managing interdisciplinary staff and the ability to manage project teams.
- Experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Detail oriented with strong personnel and project management skills, as well as written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel independently.
- Knowledge of public/private development and economic development initiatives is preferred.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to recognize and assess risks through the due diligence process.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems and develop alternative solutions in a timely manner.
- Detail oriented with organized work habits.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Bilingual a plus.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth. For more information about MassDevelopment, please visit www.massdevelopment.com.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
This posting remains open until filled.
Interested candidates should click below to apply