Senior Vice President of Devens
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Senior Vice President of Operations for the Agency’s Devens location. Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including healthcare, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth.
Under the general direction of an EVP manager, the SVP of Devens is responsible for providing leadership and administrative direction to the public works, recreation, utilities and public safety departments in Devens. The SVP of Devens is also responsible for developing and maintaining effective working relationships with Devens businesses and residents, local and regional businesses and constituents, governmental authorities, and elected officials; and will collaborate with Agency colleagues, members of the executive team, and business units across the organization to identify emerging local and regional trends and develop, recommend and initiate solutions and appropriate action plans. Proven success in implementing cross-functional initiatives requiring consensus from all levels of the organization is key.
Core Components of the Position:
- Responsible for management of government and municipal functions of Devens; serves as primary point of contact for all Devens businesses and residents, governmental, municipal, and other operational functions of Devens; represent Devens at Joint Board of Selectmen (JBOS), Devens residents’ meetings and surrounding town meetings; build relationships with surrounding town officials; be actively involved with regional initiatives such as regional transportation infrastructure growth.
- Expands relationships with Devens businesses, as well as the Devens Enterprise Commission and the Nashoba Valley Chamber of Commerce, to develop an effective working partnership seeking to further enhance the attractiveness of Devens to existing and new businesses. Develop a process to ensure regular direct communication with the Devens business community.
- Recruits and hires department heads; interprets personnel policies; works with human resources to develop personnel policies and training seminars and workshops for Devens employees.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on personnel action requests; assists in the development of labor management plans.
- Regularly hears and resolves numerous inquiries and complaints from the general public relating to Devens; articulates Agency policies and positions and refers individuals to departments for more detailed responses. Makes informed recommendations to CFO for decisions requiring executive sign off.
- Manages development and capital projects relating to Devens operations, including oversight of staff activities and resource allocation for projects, selection and management of outside consultants as necessary, creation and management of appropriate controls and reporting systems, and identification of alternative/creative funding sources.
- Prepares operating and capital budgets; prepares revenue and expenditure estimates; compiles and analyzes all financial data for compliance with statutory provisions; analyzes budgetary impact of proposed projects.
- Seeks ways to continue Devens’ path to self-sustainability. Rigorous focus on improving efficiencies, including researching and developing regionalization efforts across all aspects of Devens operations.
- Works with MassDevelopment’s marketing department to develop and execute marketing campaigns to attract interest to Devens from the business and real estate communities.
- Knowledgeable about other comparable enterprise zones (e.g. Research Triangle Park) and their hot-button issues to help drive more businesses to Devens.
- Acts as the main point of contact with Fort Devens Army leadership, seeking joint initiatives that can improve operations for both parties.
- Develops a deep knowledge of all real estate on Devens; able to lead tours of Devens for real estate developers and businesses interested in coming to Devens.
- Bachelor’s degree (required) in Business Administration or Public Administration (preferred)
- 7 years managerial experience in municipal government, and/or experience managing an operating unit of an entity.
- 5 years senior management experience with demonstrated ability to organize, direct and motivate department operations with collaborative team approach; experience with city or county government and regionalization initiatives a plus.
- Strong, demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to present to groups both large and small.
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of public administration, local government. administration/operation and intergovernmental relationships.
- Local, state, and federal regulations relating to municipal operations.
- Principles and practices of municipal finance including budgets, accounting, contracts, purchasing, risk management, etc.
- Demonstrated skill in analyzing revenues, expenditures and other financial statements and making financial presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of the organization, other governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, private businesses and the public.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Experience with MS Office Suite including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Possess a valid Massachusetts driver's license.
- Ability to travel based on designated meetings.
- To perform this job successfully, must be able to satisfactorily address and perform each duty as listed above.
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Human Resources
99 High Street, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
or email to: email@example.com
This posting can close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer