Utilities Financial Operations Specialist (Devens, MA)
The Massachusetts Development Finance Agency (MassDevelopment), a quasi-public agency of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, is accepting applications for a Utilities Financial Operations Specialist located in Devens, MA.
Reporting to the Utilities Manager, the Utilities Financial Operations Specialist will perform a variety of routine and complex billing and financial technical tasks to ensure efficient operation of the utilities billing and financial operations.
- Maintaining the Utility Management System (UMS) billing database.
- Providing primary support to the Continental Utility Solutions Inc. (CUSI) Billing System and acting as the utilities liaison for all utility billing issues.
- Downloading and uploading routes into meter-reading software for meter reads and uploading reads into UMS.
- Collecting meter reads for the gas and electric utility’s using Radio Frequency (RF) handheld meter-reading equipment.
- Performing scheduled monthly meter reads and final close-out meter reads as required.
- Verifying usage and bill calculations for electric, gas, water and sewer utilities.
- Analyzing rate design, participating in cost of service studies, and monitoring kilowatt-hour price projections for all customer classifications.
- Developing and maintaining various financial reporting files.
- Assisting the Utilities Manager in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets; providing assistance in the monitoring of actual expenditures with budgeted amounts; and monitoring forecasts and budgets to ensure accuracy of each and identifying discrepancies between forecasts/budgets and actual results.
- Overseeing customer billing, which includes monthly checks and reconciliation procedures to ensure proper billing is accomplished. Tracking monthly aging reports to prepare collection actions when required.
- Entering customer contact information, scheduling move in and outs, final billing customers, scheduling and entering final reads, calculating final bills, and distributing invoices for closings.
- Setting up gas, electric, water, and sewer services and proper rates.
- Entering meters into inventory, assigning meters to locations, and handling meter change-outs.
- Entering backflow devices into inventory and assigning to proper location, entering test results, and billing for backflow device testing.
- Serving as the main utilities customer-service representative to the residents and commercial businesses in Devens.
- Maintaining historical copies of all utility invoices and being responsible for developing, maintaining, and updating filing system(s).
- Responding to routine requests for information and emailing PDF copies of invoices.
- Creating routine correspondence, memos, utility notices, flyers, brochures, newsletters, and other informational material.
- Obtaining and assembling statistical and other related information for reports, presentations, etc.
- Assisting in cost-of-service studies as needed.
- Possibly interfacing with dispatch, operations, and community relations personnel during storm events or other emergencies during normal business hours to assist with effective communications.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree
- Minimum 2 years of related financial and/or administrative experience.
- Strong business communications skills, including the ability to create written documents.
- Strong customer-service skills.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in Word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software (MS Word, Excel, Office).
- Analytical ability in order to gather and summarize data for reports.
- Requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and demands.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration
- Experience with major utility billing systems (electric, natural gas, water, wastewater, etc.)
- Occasional adjustments to schedule and overtime may be required.
- May be required to work weekends or nights and attend evening and/or weekend meetings.
- Some outside work required when collecting utility meter reads out in the field.
MassDevelopment offers a number of competitive benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 11 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth.
Equal Opportunity Employer - MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.