Vice President Finance/Assistant Controller
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for VP Finance/Assistant Controller in our Finance and Accounting Department. This position will be a hybrid model, with a combination of remote work and in-office work located in Devens or at one of our satellite offices throughout the state.
Under the direction of the SVP Finance/Controller, the VP Finance/Assistant Controller directs the Agency’s day-to-day accounting functions. The VP Finance/Assistant Controller is responsible for the budget-to-actual financial analysis and interpretation; preparation of financial and management reports, ensuring compliance with the Agency’s financial policies and procedures; presentation of findings and specific recommendations to the Controller and Chief Financial Officer (CFO); and ensuring compliance with GAAP, FASB, and GASB and accurate financials reporting. The VP Finance/Assistant Controller oversees the Finance Department and manages two direct reports (Accounting Supervisor I, Accounting Supervisor II) and eight indirect reports (Accounts Payable Coordinators, Accounts Receivable Coordinators, and Senior/Staff Accountants).
- Manage day-to-day activities of the Finance Department including AP, AR, Payroll, and General Ledger in coordination with the Controller.
- Review and analyze monthly/quarterly budget vs. actual results, and alert Controller and/or CFO of potential problems.
- Work closely with the Accounting Supervisors to ensure accuracy of the AP, AR, and General Ledger functions for multiple entities: MassDevelopment, Taunton, Cape Ann, Jodrey, and Devens Regional Hazardous Household Products Center.
- Approve daily wire transfers; review wire transfer requests for appropriate approvals and backup.
- Oversee and approve weekly check runs for Agency and Agency-managed entities.
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll processing.
- Approve daily Star Fund activity, as needed.
- Serve as Agency contact for all banking, trustee, and investment-related accounts and transactions.
- Prepare and process cash transfers to investment manager, as needed.
- Work closely with the Controller, Accounting Supervisor, AR Coordinator, and Vadar (real estate tax billing software) contacts during the quarterly real estate and municipal service fee billings and as needed.
- Review monthly general ledger reconciliations for balance sheet accounts.
- Review and approve electric and wastewater monthly cash transfers to bond Trustee.
- Review and file (on MassTaxConnect) monthly sales tax filings (estimate and final).
- Prepare Agency 1099s and annual filings in conjunction with Accounting Supervisor.
- Assist Controller with annual year-end audit planning, execution, and preparation of all Agency financial statements including Agency Consolidated FS (MDFA and Taunton), Devens Electric FS, and federal audit. Assist Controller with the preparation of audit lead schedules, audit memos, and other items as requested by outside auditors.
- Responsible for coordination of the Star Fund Audit presentation to the Audit and Administration Committee.
- Assist HR with workers compensation annual audit.
- Responsible for reviewing general ledger activity and annual year-end tax preparation package for tax preparers for entities managed by the Agency including Cape Ann Fisheries and Jodrey State Pier.
- Assist Controller with Accounting Department budget preparation as needed.
- Work closely with various external auditors throughout the year.
- Assist Controller with maintaining all New Markets Tax Credits companies’ financial information including general ledger activity and monthly debt service transfers and distributions as needed.
- Review GASB and FASB pronouncements to ensure Agency compliance.
- Coordinate Finance portion of utility billing and collection systems upgrades and implementations.
- Coordinate Finance testing during Great Plains upgrades.
- Provide and direct financial procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate financial controls and procedures.
- Examine agency financial operations to evaluate efficiency.
- Plan and implement new financial operating procedures to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- Supervise, select, and evaluate the accounting staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 8+ years accounting or finance experience.
- Or a combination of both education and experience.
- 5+ years supervisory experience.
- 5+ years financial review, analysis and reporting, auditing, and budgeting experience.
- Excellent analytical, planning, and decision-making skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Ability to multi-task and work with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet applications, including Excel.
- Operational knowledge of automated accounting and database management systems.
- MBA and/or CPA or CMA designation or previous experience as an Assistant. Controller/Accounting Manager.
- Working knowledge/experience with Great Plains financial software.
- Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software solution.
- Knowledge of nonprofit/governmental, regulatory, and federal grant accounting procedures.
- Bilingual a plus.
MassDevelopment, the state’s development finance agency and land bank, works with businesses, nonprofits, banks, and communities to stimulate economic growth across the Commonwealth. Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. For more information about MassDevelopment, please visit www.massdevelopment.com.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply: