Vice President of Business Development – West Region
Massachusetts Development Finance Agency (MassDevelopment), the state’s development finance agency and land bank, works with businesses, nonprofits, banks, and communities to stimulate economic growth across the Commonwealth. During FY2021, MassDevelopment financed or managed 416 projects generating investment of more than $1.86 billion in the Massachusetts economy. These projects are estimated to create or support 6,578 jobs and build or preserve 1,909 housing units.
Why join our team?
MassDevelopment is committed to achieving three goals: stimulating business, driving economic growth, and helping communities across Massachusetts. Join our team of dedicated professionals to help drive our mission and make a meaningful impact in the communities where we live and work.MassDevelopment fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages all qualified applicants, including people of color, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities, to apply.
Our total rewards package offers many generous benefits, including:
- Premium Medical and Dental Coverage
- Employer Contributions to Retirement Savings Plans
- 7.5% employer contribution into a 401(a) Defined Contribution Plan; 457(b) (with employer match up to 5%)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Employer-Paid Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Parenting Leave
- Paid Time Off
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Fitness/Wellness Reimbursement
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Student Loan Reimbursement
- Matching Gifts
- Transportation Reimbursement
- Variety of Hybrid Work Opportunities
Take the next step in your career!
Learn more about MassDevelopment. Connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Vice President of Business Development – West Region in our Community Development division. This position will be a hybrid model, with a combination of remote work and in-office work in our Springfield office.
Under the general direction of the Senior Vice President of Business and Economic Development, the Vice President of Business Development is responsible for promoting the development of the Massachusetts economy by building a robust pipeline of business support opportunities for the agency through cultivated relationships, referral sources, and economic development partners.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an active listener, a creative thinker, and one who enjoys working with a wide variety of potential clients and partners. Every day will be different. If you thrive on finding impactful solutions and proactively finding new ways to support business, housing, and community growth in Massachusetts, let’s talk.
- Source, identify, and pursue specific industries and projects within target communities that may benefit by the impact from agency programs, and develop regional outreach plans accordingly.
- Cultivate and pre-qualify leads for the agency through direct targeted engagement including, but not limited to, events, speaking engagements, bank briefings, meetings, calls, written communication, and referrals from other parties and any other engagement efforts.
- Develop and maintain excellent client and strategic partner relationships.
- Serve as the initial point of contact for general MassDevelopment inquiries. Respond quickly to all requests and provide agency information as well as connections to state, local, and nonprofit finance and development partners.
- Work collaboratively with other team members and across all divisions, sharing resources and information.
- Represent the agency at events, including speaking engagements and industry tradeshows.
- Track and follow up on leads in the intake system and project-management database.
- Work closely with referral sources and economic development partners to provide customers with a wide range of solutions for growth and financial assistance.
- Provide customer feedback and program enhancement ideas to the SVP of Business and Economic Development.
- Extensive regional travel for client and partner meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- 3 – 5 years related experience including economic development, business development, customer service, and general knowledge of financial analysis.
- General knowledge of public and private economic development programs.
- Strong understanding of general lending principles and ability to identify appropriate programs based on customer requests.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and business development work rooted in the needs and vision of the communities served.
- Ability to listen and use critical thinking skills to determine best path forward.
- Exceptional problem-solving, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to connect with, and work effectively with, a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team environment.
- Working knowledge of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems or similar database systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proactive customer-centric focus to successfully identify creative and unique strategic financing solutions.
- Ability to understand unique client base to build programs that meet the industry’s and region’s economic needs.
- Ability to thrive in entrepreneurial, fluid, ambiguous environments.
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and ability to independently travel throughout the Commonwealth.
- Proficiency speaking and/or writing in any of the following languages is a significant plus: Spanish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Khmer, Vietnamese, or Mandarin.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply: