Vice President of Planning & Predevelopment
MassDevelopment is accepting applications for a Vice President of Planning & Predevelopment. Due to COVID-19, this position will be 100% remote to start until normal operations are resumed at which time the position could be located in Boston or at one of our satellite offices throughout the state.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Real Estate Planning, this position will work with the Real Estate Services team to provide land use and economic development advisory services to municipalities in Massachusetts through the development and administration of the Real Estate Division’s programs, including Technical Assistance, the Urban Land Institute Technical Assistance Program, the Site Readiness Program, and community workshops. This position will be the Real Estate Division’s representative to a MassDevelopment regional team and will work closely with individual municipalities, groups of municipalities, and regional partners to manage, market, and promote Real Estate Services projects and programs in the region.
- Serve as a Real Estate Division’s Regional Team representative. This role is responsible for coordinating work with regional team members, developing an understanding of the land use and economic development challenges that are unique to the region, and identifying and managing Real Estate Services projects in municipalities located within the region.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with municipal, state, and federal appointed and elected officials, staff, and regulators as well as for-profit and nonprofit developers.
- Assist the Senior Vice President of Real Estate Planning and team in assessing the eligibility and viability of proposed projects for services managed by the Real Estate Division including (a) insuring that projects align with the Agency’s mission, goals, and objectives, (b) conducting preliminary feasibility analysis, and (c) identifying potential sources of funding.
- Develop and maintain project work plans for Real Estate Services projects that include budgets, personnel and consultant requirements, and schedules.
- Work with municipalities, state governmental agencies, and other partners to develop a plan for assisting with particular municipal or regional land use and economic development challenges.
- Manage and direct interdisciplinary project teams made up of Agency staff, consultants, and others from project concept to completion.
- Work with municipalities following the completion of a Real Estate Services project to determine an implementation strategy and follow up with the municipality on a regular basis to ensure the project steps are moving forward.
- Work on program development, Agency cross-departmental collaboration, and other new initiatives as needed.
- Develop an understanding of the MassDevelopment house doctor consultants’ areas of expertise and hire and manage consultants with appropriate skill sets to perform project analysis, land use plans, site analysis, market surveys, financial analysis, site plans, and construction work. Write project descriptions, recommendations, and briefings for senior management and the Board of Directors as required.
- Prepare and submit regular updates on projects related to regular Agency reporting requirements as well as respond to time-sensitive requests for information. Clearly convey the priorities, standards, and process of the Agency to interested parties and potential customers.
- Work with MassDevelopment staff to ensure proper flow of communication and information.
- Coordinate with Legal, Finance Programs, and Accounting Departments as needed.
- Travel throughout the Commonwealth to different project sites.
- Perform other related functions as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in planning, architecture, real estate, urban policy, landscape architecture, or related field.
- Five years of professional experience in project management, with a preference for experience working for a municipality or regional planning agency.
- Or a combination of education and experience Strong knowledge of land use practices, urban and regional planning, public/private development, and economic development initiatives.
- Working knowledge of governmental regulations regarding land-use controls and environmental review procedures within Massachusetts.
- Familiarity and a working knowledge of federal, state, or local economic development programs, incentives and policy initiatives as well as governmental regulations regarding land-use controls.
- Strong interactive and relationship-building skills with an ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, governmental officials, the general public, consultants, and various outside stakeholders.
- Experience managing or working in a team environment on projects. Must have experience in managing projects from inception to completion.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Detail oriented with superior written and oral communication skills.
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and ability to independently travel.
- Master’s degree preferred with a concentration in planning, architecture, real estate, landscape architecture, or related field.
- Three years of professional experience in project management, with experience working for a municipality or regional planning agency preferred.
- Or a combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of other MassDevelopment products and services that may be of assistance is encouraged.
- Working knowledge of real estate planning and site plan review.
- Experience working with various project constituencies, including nonprofit advocacy groups, community and neighborhood organizations, and residents.
- Experience working with resident and community organizations and municipal governments.
- Exposure to marketing/communications, public policy, and program development.
- Some experience in innovative technology, including economic development tools.
- Bilingual a plus
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including health care, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth. For more information about MassDevelopment, please visit www.massdevelopment.com.
MassDevelopment offers a number of benefits including but not limited to: generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, employer contributions into retirement savings plans, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs, and matching gift donations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
Interested candidates should click on the link below to apply. This posting remains open until filled.