MassDevelopment’s Laura Canter Named a Banker & Tradesman Woman of FIRE
July 9, 2013
Kelsey Abbruzzese, MassDevelopment, 617-330-2086 & 617-448-9077 (cell)
Boston, MA – MassDevelopment Executive Vice President of Finance Programs Laura Canter has been named one of Banker & Tradesman‘s Women of FIRE, an annual award honoring the key female players in the local FIRE (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) sector.
The third annual Women of FIRE award celebrates the best and the brightest women in the Massachusetts FIRE industries. With the help of Banker & Tradesman readers, a group of judges sorted through dozens of nominations and chose 15 brilliant, innovative leaders to be named this year’s Women of FIRE.
“We searched for the best of the best – those women who are making a difference through innovation, hard work, team-building, philanthropy, mentoring or leadership – and these women demonstrate these roles,” said Timothy M. Warren Jr., CEO of The Warren Group, publisher of Banker & Tradesman.
In her 17 years at MassDevelopment, Canter has overseen billions of dollars in investment in the Massachusetts economy and kept the Agency on the cutting edge of finance tools. In fiscal year 2012, programs under Canter’s purview totaled nearly $3.3 billion for 246 projects, creating 8,000 jobs for the Commonwealth. These programs include MassDevelopment’s loans, tax-exempt bonds, and New Markets Tax Credits, along with funds the Agency manages on behalf of the Commonwealth: the Brownfields Redevelopment Fund, the Cultural Facilities Fund, the Emerging Technology Fund, and the new Manufacturing Futures Fund. She manages a department of more than 40 people, whose responsibilities range from business development to loan administration.
“I’m thrilled that Laura has received this well-deserved honor,” said MassDevelopment President and CEO Marty Jones, who received the award last year. “Her focus, intelligence, and kind heart truly make her a Woman of FIRE.”
Banker & Tradesman will be running profiles of each one in a special section on July 22. Canter will also be honored at the 2013 Women of FIRE Awards Luncheon on July 23 at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge hotel. Kerry Healey, President-Elect of Babson College, will give the keynote speech.
Other key players in the Massachusetts FIRE sector will be honored, including:
- Sarah Abrams, Senior Vice President, Global Real Estate Iron Mountain
- Marci Alvarado, Vice President, Parsons Commercial Group
- Carolyn Chodat, Owner, Classic Properties
- Maryteresa Crealese, Audit Partner, KPMG LLP
- Patricia Holland, Asst. Mgr, Const. RE & Leasing, Hobbs Brook Management LLC
- Lesley Lambert, Realtor, Park Square Realty
- Pamela McDermott, Founder & CEO, McDermott Ventures
- Susan McDonough, Senior Sales Manager, William Raveis Real Estate
- Cathy Minnerly, Executive Vice President and Principal, NAI Hunneman
- Gilda Nogueira, President & CEO, East Cambridge Savings Bank
- Susan Ogrodnik-Smith, Chief Sales Officer-Personal Insurance, HUB International New England LLC
- Gail Roberts, Vice President, Coldwell Banker
- Tamara Small, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, NAIOP Massachusetts
- Sarah Valentini, President, Radius Financial Group Inc.
For more information about the awards luncheon, visit: Women of FIRE Luncheon.